“There’s an awful lot of white in your painting today, Gon,” Killua comments, turning the piece of paper over in his hands while squinting at it like it’ll reveal some sort of secret if he looks at it in a certain way. “Clouds?”
“You,” Gon says absently, not looking up as he stifles the urge to trace the lines over the paper in his hands. He knows what it’s like, what it does to touch art carelessly, and the last thing he wants is to ruin Killua’s sketch of that one place in Whale Island that he’d shared with him. Everything Killua does, he’s come to realize over the years, is important. Everything means something, as much as Killua likes to pretend that he’d only thought of drawing certain things on a whim.
“Me?” Killua asks incredulously.
“That’s you,” he nods, smiling brightly as he looks up from Killua’s sketch. “The whites of your hair, and your skin, and the clothes you always wear.” He crawls closer, taking his tiny watercolor case and sketch with him when he goes. “I thought the blue paint would’ve made it obvious, but I guess not?”
heads up i try to make my blog as accessible as possible and if theres anything i can do to help or suit your needs / wants better please let me know
and if theres ever like something i do or say thats problematic always remember its okay to send me a message about it even if youre angry do not worry okay
Because police dogs are too mainstream.
"Everything you need for your health" (A hospital advert)
"Sauna, Karjala and Tar" (A beer advert)
Finns are really that scared of what people think about them. Everything apart from “normal” is embarassing. And God have mercy on you if you’re actually injured that bad that you need help. That’s the lowest of the low because you need to ask for help and need to accept it. Gosh.
I’m reading up on the Memoirs of a Geisha controversy, since I’d neither seen the movie nor read the book, and the more I read about it, the more pissed off I get. Basically it went down like this:
Japanese woman tells white American man about her past life as a geisha. White American man then writes a novel that sells itself as an accurate memoir of Japanese woman’s life, but instead falsifies a number of her life events, misrepresents her trade, and exoticises her culture. He also names her as a source even though she specifically asked him to keep her anonymous. Japanese woman gets death threats. White American man becomes bestselling author.
Then Japanese woman gets fed up and writes her own memoir to set the record straight. Meanwhile, white American man’s book gets adapted into a film that grosses $162 million and wins three Oscars.
This is why I can’t stand Memoirs of a Geisha and will side-eye anyone who claims that book as a favourite.
never read the book watched the movie wasn’t anything special the actors were nice to look at
I couldn’t look at this and not translate some of the names. Well. Most of them.
- Nahkahousut = Leather Pants
- Pallivaha = Scrotewax (though technically this is archaic Finnish that refers to neither scrotums nor wax, but this is what it sounds like to a modern Finn)
- Lemu = Stench
- Hinthaara = Fagsfork/Fagsgroin (“haara” means both a fork in something and the crotch region of a person)
- Sallittu = Permitted
- Kuuma = Hot
- Venäjä = Russia
- Letku = Hose
- Kaunaa = Grudge (indefinite form, so “some portion of grudge” would be more accurate)
- Vasaroi = Hammers (as in “he hammers)
- Riutta = Reef
- Takaperä = Rearback
- Pyttyvesi = Toilet Bowl Water
- Hepovaara = Horsie Hill/Horsie Danger (“vaara” means both a type of hill and “danger”)
- Homeperseensuo = Moldass’s Swamp
- Pöljä = Dumbass
- Alapitkä = Lower Long
- Sälliperä = Bro Rear
- Paisua = To Swell
- Egypti = Egypt
- Rannikko = Coast (check the location of this to see why it’s so funny)
- Kapee = Narow
- Koura = Large Hand
- Myrkky = Poison
- Tiukka = Tight
- Housu = Pant (as in pants)
- Vuoto = Leak
- Varvas = Toe
- Möykky = Lump
- Pikku-Melanen = Small-Paddled (“paddle” is one of the many Finnish euphemisms for penis)
- Iso-Kiimanen = Large-in-Heat (as in the heat of animals)
- Vetelä = Sloppy
- Paskalampinneva = Shitpondspoorfen
- Iso Mällineva = Big Wad Poorfen
- Kivesniemi = Testicle Peninsula (from this you can probably figure out that Kivesvaara = Testicle Hill/Testicle Danger and Kiveskylä = Testicle Village)
- Punaperä = Redrear
- Runkaus = Wank (well, one letter away from it)
- Terska = Foreskin
- Pikkumulkku = Smallprick (accompanied by Isomulkku, “Bigprick”)
- Mulkkusaari = Prick Island (“naturally located on Testicle Lake”)
- Saaranpaskantamasaari = Island-Which-Has-Been-Shat-By-Saara
- Peräsuolijoki = Rectum River
- Oranki = Orangutang
- Vyöni = My Belt
- Kiimamaa = Heatland
- Kusipää = lit. Pisshead, figuratively more like “Dickhead”
- Vitunviheltämäaapa = String Bog of the Whistling Cunt
- Suurkovanselkä = Greathardsback
- Kakkinen = Poopie (roughly)
- Paskalomavaara = Shitvacationdanger
- Kutusuvannonpää = Spawn-stream pool’s-end
It’s a beautiful country with a beautiful language.
In Sociology, this week’s module is on propaganda and marketing. For homework, we were asked to make a poster for an imaginary campaign either for a made-up product or a current social issue. This is mine.
the new captains » you’ve worked hard, ai & rei!
Welcome to a finnish train
Now remember people, National Coming Out Day is on its way. If you “come out” on facebook as straight and/or cis, an ally, a brony, a fucking whovian, or anything other than a marginalized sexual orientation and/or gender identity, I will ram my boot so far up your ass you’ll be tasting Vans for weeks.
There’s a Monster in the Closet